Friday 5 July 2013

As the Twig Is Bent Poem

As The Twig Is Bent

A little girl with shining eyes--
Her little face aglow
Said: "Daddy it is almost time
For Sunday School. Let's go.
They teach us there of Jesus' love,
Of how He died for all
Upon the cruel cross to save
Those who on Him will call."
"Oh no!" said daddy, "Not today.
I've worked hard this week
And I must have one day of rest.
I'm going to the creek,
For there I can relax and rest,
And fishing's fine, they say.
So run along; don't bother me.
We'll go to church some other day."
Months and years have passed away,
But daddy hears no more that plea:
"Let's go to Sunday School."
Those childhood days are over.
And now that daddy's growing old,
When life is almost through,
He finds the time to go to church,
But what does daughter do?
She says: "Oh, daddy, not today-.
I stayed up most all night,
And I've just got to get some sleep,
Besides, I look a fright."
Then daddy lifts a trembling hand
To brush away his tears,
As again he hears that pleading voice
Distinctly through the years.
He sees a small girl's shining face
Upturned with eyes aglow
As she says, "It's time for Sunday School,
Please, daddy, won't you go?"


No comments:

Post a Comment